Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tolson 4 TEARS Cheers Survivor Video Project

An on-line video project has been developed for survivors of abuse to tell their stories. Christopher de Serres and Ophelia de Serres (founders of WomenSpeakOutNow) have set the stage. (see previous blog post on their non-profit organization.) The goal of the My Name Is" _____" Project is to "create a community... which tell the collective stories."

Christopher de Serres says that  "There are millions of survivors out there who want to tell their stories. Yet, we feel isolated and unable to express the deepest pain in our lives. The My Name Is "_____" Project is there to provide a survivor a way to express it."


If you would like to participate, Chris has a video that shows how you can share in this powerful project. You'll also find videos made by other survivors that show both the despair and hope after trauma.


My contribution to the project is My Name Is "Lynn" and the video is here.
I was inspired by the other survivors who had a willingness to be open. I ventured into the video project. Although I've been an advocate for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, speaking about trauma and recovery, it was a challenge to create a video, technically and mentally. Old tapes of threats made by perpetrators to me rang loud in my mind: "If you tell, you will die." Emotions emerged from boxes that I thought I had put on a shelf, such as fear and anger. My finished product cleared the way for softer feelings, like freedom and relief. Although my memoir is as revealing and healing as I dared, the video helped me to rise to another level of courage. When you watch the videos you will be encouraged and enlightened. The old cliche' applies: "a picture is worth a thousand words" (although you may have to read between the lines). The link to My Name Is "Lynn" here
Post a Comment