Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tolson 4 TEARS video 4 "My Name Is ______" project

An on-line video project has been developed for survivors of abuse to tell their stories. Christopher de Serres and Ophelia de Serres (founders of WomenSpeakOutNow) have set the stage. The goal of the "My Name Is" Project is to "create a community... which tell the collective stories."

I was inspired by the other survivors who had a willingness to be open. I ventured into the video project. Although I've been an advocate for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, speaking about trauma and recovery, it was a challenge to create a video, technically and mentally. Old tapes of threats made by perpetrators to me rang loud in my mind: "If you tell, you will die." Emotions emerged from boxes that I thought I had put on a shelf, such as fear and anger. My finished product cleared the way for softer feelings, like freedom and relief. Although my memoir is as revealing and healing as I dared, the video helped me to rise to another level of courage in sharing. When you watch the videos you will be encouraged and enlightened. The old cliche' applies: "a picture is worth a thousand words" (although you may have to read between the lines).

video

Here is what a viewer said of the "My Name Is LYNN" video: "I read your book [Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story] and seeing the video was a very powerful addition to sharing you story and experience. It was very emotional. You are a voice for many people that are still struggling, that there is hope." 


H-O-P-E for others is what I wanted to convey by participating! 

Post a Comment