Monday, December 5, 2011

Beyond the Tears: Not For Women Only; Male Abuse Survivors Too

When Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story was initially printed, it received the following review from a male therapist who counsels abuse victims. As the author, I was vocal about men being abusive, unintentionally avoiding the subject of males who are abused. When I received this review, I was glad to see that Beyond the Tears did not portray a bias toward gender. Thank you Dean Balderston for seeing the lessons in the book that any abuse victim may receive, whether male or female.

A Male’s Perspective Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story was very captivating. I felt for and understood Lynn as she told her story. I never felt that it was biased in any way, and longed to find out what was coming next. As a man reading a story about a woman and her experiences with sexual, emotional and physical abuse, I was touched by her courage to continue, even when she did not want to continue she persevered, found strength and did more than survive, she thrived. I was able to identify with the main character just as easily as if that person had been male. As a therapist I have encouraged several of my clients to read this book to assist them in working through their abuse issues (both male and female clients). If I could sum up the most impressive thing about this book besides the author, it would be how she tells her story as though she is telling it to her therapist. That is very healthy and encouraging to others who may need counseling. Thank you so much Lynn C. Tolson for sharing your story and breaking the silence. Dean Balderston, MA. LMHP, Author of The Real Life Adventures of Anna and Sadie







Post a Comment