Monday, January 23, 2012

Tolson 4 TEARS Cheers "About Doing More"

While I was writing Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story, I felt alone and lonely. At age 43, a series of nightmares, flashbacks, and a deepening depression caused me to seek another round of therapy. I started putting pen to paper in journal writing sessions. Themes emerged regarding the impact of my childhood sexual abuse, adolescent drug addiction, and subsequent suicide attempts. There were plenty of books about the research of these experiences, but few real stories of recovery. By using the journal to write about the problems and solutions discussed in my counseling sessions, a story of transformation emerged. Journal writing was a cathartic experience, and the book evolved with the courage to face my fears, with compassion for myself and others, and a conviction to tell the truth. My desire to share a message of healing from trauma became too strong to ignore; sharing my story became a mission. I hope that my book promotes understanding of the issues that cause individual suffering and plague our society. 

Now, I no longer feel alone because there is a community of authors who have dared to share their real stories of recovery. Some of these brave writers are gathering at the
April 20-21, 2012, in Albuquerque, NM


The About Doing More Summit, developed by Hank Estrada, "is designed to offer a variety of thoughtful presentations and discussions by accomplished authors, who will share their healing journeys, discuss experiences of overcoming abuse memories and triggers.  The focus for the entire conference will be to explore what positive things contribute to healthier thinking, emotional healing, how to ask for support, as well as ways to improve self-worth. The summit will be an exceptional opportunity and gathering of published survivor/authors, advocates and supporters interested in the exchange, encouragement, and recognition of healing journeys from abuse, violence and trauma." Hank Estrada, author of UnHoly Communion: Lessons Learned from Life Among Pedophiles, Predators and Priests will serve as the summit host, mc, and panel moderator. Find Hank Estrada on Facebook and Twitter.

Hank Estrada

Post a Comment