Wednesday, June 29, 2016

On Self-Love via Tolson 4 TEARS*

*Tolson 4 TEARS: Telling Everyone About Rape & Suicide, so no shed tear is wasted.
What is the concept of self-love? And how can you apply it?

From Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story 


At the suggestion of my counselor, to increase my self-confidence, I peeked into the mirror each morning and repeated: I can, I can, I can. Once, I would have considered this a corny gimmick, but now I viewed it as a tool to get myself together. Prior to using this believing mirror technique, I would only glance in the mirror, afraid to face the image of shame, guilt, anger, and regret that reflected back. My counselor, Karen, said, “You don’t see yourself as others see you.”

Afraid of the answer, I asked, “How do others see me?”

Karen responded: “I see a bright, beautiful woman with talent. You have paid too much attention to negative traits while neglecting your positive qualities. Try accepting all aspects of your identity, both your strengths and weaknesses. You are greater than the sum of all parts. Let’s consider the concept of self-love.”

I said, “Self-love? Isn’t that conceited?”

Karen said, “Conceit is a result of the ego, and a selfish point of view. However, self-esteem and self-love originate in the soul, which is the essence of love.”

Don't YOU deserve to be loved by Y-O-U?







Post completed by Lynn C. Tolson, author of Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story

Post a Comment